A delicious Greek dessert is Karidopita, a light, moist walnut cake flavored with cinnamon, cloves and orange juice. Topped with powdered sugar and served in squares, this dessert is ideal for holiday gatherings, or for a tasty treat, any day of the year.
Greek Lenten Walnut Cake, “Karidopita”
4 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1-1/2 cups water
1-1/2 cups vegetable oil
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 tbsp. baking soda
1 tbsp. baking powder
½ tsp. ground cloves
½ tsp. cinnamon
Juice from one orange – strained
Powdered sugar, for topping
- Preheat oven to 375⁰ Fahrenheit.
- Blend flour, baking powder, ground cloves & cinnamon in a bowl.
- Add vegetable oil to flour mix and blend.
- Add sugar, water, baking soda, and juice to mix.
- Blend walnuts into batter.
- Grease 9” x 12” baking pan and pour in batter.
- Bake for approximately 1 hour, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool, sprinkle powdered sugar on top and cut into squares.