Here is a wonderful recipe for Mussels in Saffron-Sherry Sauce from Chef Edward Pizzuti, Cafe Giostra, Brando’s, Petaluma, CA. It’s sure to be a hit at your next summer cookout. Enjoy!
Mussels in Saffron-Sherry Sauce
2/lbs Mediterranean Mussels or Local Mussels (de-bearded and scrubbed)
4-5 Shallots (finely chopped)
8 oz. Cooking Sherry
3 oz. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 bunch of flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
2 Roma tomatoes (diced in 1/4 inch squares)
Salt and Pepper
1. In a large skillet heat the olive oil.
2. Put in the shallots and cook for about 1 minute.
3. Add tomatoes and mussels.
4. When pan starts to steam, add the sherry wine, parsley, salt and pepper.
5. Cover pan with lid and cook until mussels are fully opened, do not overcook.
6. Transfer to large serving bowl or individual bowl.
7. You may sprinkle some raw extra virgin olive oil and chopped parsley on top of each bowl.