Jamie Geller is the only best-selling cookbook author who wants to get you out of the kitchen – not because she doesn’t love food – but because she has tons to do. As “The Bride Who Knew Nothing” Jamie found her niche specializing in fast, fresh, family recipes. Now the “Queen of Kosher” (CBS) and the “Jewish Rachael Ray” (New York Times), she’s the creative force behind JoyofKosher.com and “Joy of Kosher with Jamie Geller” magazine.Here’s her recipe for a Roasted Apple Brisket:
Roasted Apple Brisket
Ready Time : 2 hour, 5 min
Ingredients (8 Servings)
- 2½ pounds beef brisket
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 medium gala apples, cored and cut into wedges
- 1 small bunch fresh thyme or 2 teaspoon dried
- 2 cups apple juice
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Season both sides of brisket with sugar, salt, and pepper to taste. Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add brisket and brown 5 minutes on each side. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add apples to the pan, and cook 5 minutes or until nicely browned. Stir in thyme and return brisket to the pan. Add apple juice, cover, and bake for 1 ½ to 2 hours, or until tender.
- Remove brisket and apples from the Dutch oven and let rest.
- Carefully set the hot pan on the stove and bring liquid to a boil. Simmer for 15 minutes or until reduced by half. Pour into a gravy boat or serving bowl.
- Slice brisket into ¼-inch thick slices and place on a serving platter. Place cooked apples around brisket and serve with sauce on the side.