Reinvent the childhood classic gingerbread cookie into a contemporary treat for all ages with Gingerbread Whoopie Pies filled with luscious Lemon Creme. There simply timeless. Enjoy!
Gingerbread Whoopie Pies with Lemon Crème
- Gingerbread Whoopie Pies:
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons McCormick® Ginger, Ground
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Cinnamon, Ground
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Nutmeg, Ground
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Lemon Creme::
- 1 jar (7 ounces) marshmallow creme
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, softened
- 4 ounces (1/2 package) cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Lemon Extract
- 1 cup crushed peppermint candies
- For the Gingerbread Whoopie Pies, mix flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg and salt in large bowl. Set aside. Beat butter and brown sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add molasses, egg and vanilla; beat well. Gradually beat in flour mixture on low speed until well mixed. Press dough into a thick flat disk. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll in granulated sugar to coat. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until edges of cookies just begin to brown. Remove to wire racks; cool completely.
- Meanwhile, for the Lemon Creme, mix marshmallow creme, butter, cream cheese and lemon extract in medium bowl until well blended. To assemble whoopie pies, place about 1 tablespoon filling on the flat side of 1 cookie. Top with a second cookie, pressing gently to spread the filling. Repeat with remaining cookies. Roll edge of cookies in crushed candy. Store whoopie pies between layers of wax paper in airtight container in refrigerator up to 5 days.
How to Crush Peppermint Candies: To make 1 cup crushed candies, you will need about 50 peppermint candies. Place peppermint candies in large resealable plastic bag. Close bag. Pound with rolling pin or heavy skillet until coarsely crushed. Or, process in food processor using on/off pulsing action.