When the sugar and spice of this simple chicken dish start to caramelize, a heavenly aroma floats through the house. Ground cinnamon adds unexpected warmth, and cinnamon sticks add a simple touch of elegance.
Maple Cinnamon Chicken
meat • gluten-free • freezes well • yields 4-6 servings
1 Chicken (about 3 lb/1.4 kg),cut into eighths
2-3 large sweet potatoes, trimmed, halved, thinly sliced into half-moons (do not peel)
3 shallots, trimmed and halved
3-4 cinnamon sticks
freshly ground black pepper
3 Tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp dried thyme
3 Tbsp pure maple syrup
1/4 cup water
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a large roasting pan with nonstick spray.
2. Trim and discard excess fat from chicken pieces. Arrange chicken in a single layer, skin-side up, in roasting pan. Add sweet potatoes, shallots, and cinnamon sticks, tucking them between and around chicken pieces. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
3. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, cinnamon, and thyme. Stir well. Sprinkle mixture evenly over chicken and vegetables. Drizzle with maple syrup.
4. Add water to baking dish, being careful not to drizzle it over the seasoned chicken and vegetables.
5. Bake, uncovered, basting occasionally, for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until juices run clear and chicken is glazed and golden. Transfer to a serving platter.
• Variation: Add 8-9 Medjool dates, halved and pitted, with vegetables.
• Sweet potatoes contain antioxidants, including beta-carotene, which converts to vitamin A in the body. The deeper the orange, the higher the beta-carotene content is. Sweet potatoes have a medium glycemic index (GI). One medium sweet potato contains about 6.6 grams fiber.
Recipe from THE SILVER PLATTER SIMPLE ELEGANCE: Effortless Recipes with Sophisticated Results
By Daniella Silver and Norene G