Just in time for Mother’s Day Brunch, Chef Anthony gives eggs a makeover with his recipe for a Breakfast Quesadilla (with only 100 calories per serving). So eat health but still keep Mom’s taste buds happy!
· 1 cup diced assorted vegetables (the more colors the better!)
· ½ cup egg whites
· ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
· 1 whole-wheat, low-sodium lavash thin bread
· 3 Tablespoons shredded fat-free mozzarella cheese
· 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro leaves (optional)
· 2 Tablespoons fat-free sour cream
· ¼ cup pico de gallo (no salt added) or no-salt-added salsa
1. In a medium nonstick skillet, sauté vegetables until beginning to brown. Add egg whites and scramble. Season with black pepper.
2. On a warm griddle or flat-top grill, place lavash thin bread and let the side facing the heat get hot.
3. Turn the bread over on the griddle or grill, and sprinkle the cheese on top side.
4. On half of the top side, spread the vegetable scramble and cilantro.
5. When the cheese begins to melt, fold the thin bread in half to cover the vegetables. Press firmly, using a tool like a large firm spatula or bottom of a pan. Flip on the other side, grill for about 2 minutes, and press.
6. Remove from heat. Cut quesadilla into four pieces. Serve two pieces per person with fat-free sour cream and salsa on the side.