This recipe for a Kobe Beef Steak with “Diane” Sauce By Chef Dean Fearing, The Mansion at Turtle Creek in Dallas is simply to die for. Enjoy on a special occation or really impress your dinner guests.
Kobe Beef Steak with “Diane” Sauce
8 – 8 oz. Kobe Beef Tenderloin Filets (trimmed of fat and silverskin)
TT Salt and Black Pepper
1 cup Canola Oil
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Season both sides of beef filets with salt and black pepper to taste.
3. In a large ovenproof sauté pan over high heat (in two batches) place 4 filets and sear for 4-5 minutes on each side. Place pan in oven and finish cooking to desired temperature. With a meat thermometer check temperature. For medium rare to medium: 140°F.
4. Remove from oven and wrap loosely in foil. Set aside.
Texas “Diane” Sauce Ingredients:
1/2 cup Canola Oil
1 Onion (chopped)
3 Shallots (chopped)
1 Bulb Garlic (chopped)
2 Celery Stalks (chopped)
2 Carrots (chopped)
1 cup Brandy
1 cup Red Wine
2 Dried Ancho Chilies (chopped and toasted)
2 Dried New Mexican Chilies (chopped and toasted)
2 Dried Pasilla Chilies (chopped and toasted)
1 t Fennel Seed
2 Bay Leaves
1 tspn. Whole Black Peppercorns
1 Whole Tomato (roasted and chopped)
12 Button Mushrooms Stems
1 quart Veal Demi-Glaze
1/2 lb Veal Bones (oven roasted)
TT Salt and Lime juice
1. In a large sauce pan, over high heat, add oil. When hot, add onion and shallots. Cook until caramelized, about 15-20 minutes. Add garlic, celery and carrots. Cook for an additional 10 minutes.
2. Deglaze pan with brandy and red wine. Reduce until au sec (almost dry). Reduce heat to low. Add toasted chilies, fennel, bay leaves, black peppercorns, roasted tomato, mushroom stems, veal demi and bones. Simmer for 2 hours, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and strain through a large hole china cap.
3. Place back in sauce pan and over low heat simmer for an additional 30 minutes or until reduced by one-quarter. Remove from heat and strain through a fine sieve. Add Garnish for Sauce and stir until incorporated. Season with salt and lime juice to taste. Keep warm until ready to serve.