Chicken Veggie Burgers: Executive Chef Anthony Stewart
August is National Sandwich Month and to celebrate Pritikin Longevity Center’s Executive Chef Anthony Stewart, THE go-to healthy chef, put together simple, healthy and delicious sandwich suggestions and a few of his favorite Pritikin Sandwiches. Here’s another one of our favorites:
CHICKEN VEGGIE BURGERS
· 1 pound free-range, skinless chicken breast
· ¼ cup finely chopped onion
· ¼ cup finely chopped celery
· ¼ cup finely chopped carrot
· 1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped (Remove seeds if you
want to take down the heat.)
· 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
· 1 teaspoon Pritikin All-Purpose Seasoning*
· 3 tablespoons ground whole-wheat pita bread (optional)
* Make your own Pritikin All-Purpose Seasoning by blending
granulated onion, granulated garlic, salt-free lemon pepper, and
1. In a food processor, chop chicken till ground.
2. In a nonstick skillet on medium-high heat, sauté onions, celery, and carrots till translucent, about three minutes. Let cool.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine ground chicken, sautéed vegetables, and Pritikin All-Purpose Seasoning. Mix until fully incorporated. If desired, mix in bread crumbs.
4. Mold chicken/veggie mixture into 8 four-ounce patties.
5. On a hot nonstick skillet or grill, sear patties on each side to your desired doneness.
Nutrition Information (per serving):
150 calories, 3g total fat, ½g saturated fat, 75mg cholesterol, 25g protein, 1g fiber, 150mg sodium.